Excerpt from the Book of Enoch
CHAP. VII [SECT. II]
1. It happened after the sons of men
had multiplied in those days, that daughters were born to them,
elegant and beautiful.
2. And when the angels, the sons of heaven, beheld them, they
became enamored of them, saying to each other, Come, let us
select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us
3. Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may
perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;
4. And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.
5. But they answered him and said; We all swear;
6. And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not
change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.
7. Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by
mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who
descended upon Ardis, which is the top of mount Armon.
8. That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had
sworn upon it, and bound themselves by mutual execrations.
9. These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their
leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel,
Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel,
Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the
two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them.
10. Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they
began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them
sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees.
11. And the women conceiving brought forth giants,
12. Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured
all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible
to feed them;
13. When they turned themselves against men, in order to devour
14. And began to injure birds, beasts, reptiles, and fishes, to
eat their flesh one after another, and to drink their blood.
15. Then the earth reproved the unrighteous.
1. Moreover Azazyel taught men to
make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of
mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use
of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of
every valuable and select kind, and of all sorts of dyes, so
that the world became altered.
2. Impiety increased ; fornication multiplied ; and they
transgressed and corrupted all their ways.
3. Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:
4. Armers taught the solution of sorcery;
5. Barkayal taught the observers of the stars
6. Akibeel taught signs;
7. Tamiel taught astronomy;
8. And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon.
9. And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached
l. Then Michael and Gabriel,
Raphael, Suryal, and Uriel, looked down from heaven, and saw the
quantity of blood which was shed on earth, and all the iniquity
which was done upon it, and said one to another, It is the voice
of their cries;
2. The earth deprived of her children has cried even to the gate
3. And now to you, O ye holy ones of heaven, the souls of men
complain, saying, Obtain Justice for us with the Most High. Then
they said to their Lord, the King, Thou art Lord of lords, God
of gods, King of kings. The throne of thy glory is for ever and
ever, and for ever and ever is thy name sanctified and
glorified. Thou art blessed and glorified.
4. Thou hast made all things; thou possessest power over all
things; and all things are open and manifest before thee. Thou
beholdest all things, and nothing can be concealed from thee.
5. Thou hast seen what Azazyel has done, how he has taught every
species of iniquity upon earth, and has disclosed to the world
all the secret things which are done in the heavens.
6. Samyaza also has taught sorcery, to whom thou hast given
authority over those who are associated with him. They have gone
together to the daughters of men; have lain with them; have
7. And have discovered crimes to them.
8. The women likewise have brought forth giants.
9. Thus has the whole earth been filled with blood and with
10. And now behold the souls of those who are dead, cry out.
11. And complain even to the gate of heaven.
12. Their groaning ascends; nor can they escape from the
unrighteous- ness which is committed on earth. Thou knowest all
things, before they exist.
13. Thou knowest these things, and what has been done by them;
yet thou dost not speak to us.
14. What on account of these things ought we to do to them?
1. Then the Most High, the Great and
Holy One spoke,
2. And sent Arsayalalyur to the son of Lamech,
3. Saying, Say to him in my name, Conceal thyself.
4. Then explain to him the consummation which is about to take
place; for all the earth shall perish; the waters of a deluge
shall come over the whole earth, and all things which are in it
shall be destroyed.
5. And now teach him how he may escape, and how his seed may
remain in all the earth.
6. Again the Lord said to Raphael, Bind Azazyel hand and foot;
cast him into darkness; and opening the desert which is in
Dudael, cast him in there.
7. Throw upon him hurled and pointed stones, covering him with
8. There shall he remain forever; cover his face, that he may
not see the light.
9. And in the great day of judgment let him be cast into the
10. Restore the earth, which the angels have corrupted; and
announce life to it, that I may revive it.
11. All the sons of men shall not perish in consequence of every
secret, by which the Watchers have destroyed, and which they
have taught, their offspring.
12. All the earth has been corrupted by the effects of the
teaching of Azazyel. To him therefore ascribe the whole crime.
13. To Gabriel also the Lord said, Go to the biters, to the
repro- bates, to the children of fornication; and destroy the
children of fornication, the offspring of
the Watchers, from
among men; bring them forth, and excite them one against
another. Let them perish by mutual slaughter; for length of days
shall not be theirs.
14. They shall all entreat thee, but their fathers shall not
obtain their wishes respecting them; for they shall hope for
eternal life, and that they may live, each of them, five hundred
15. To Michael likewise the Lord said, Go and announce his crime
to Samyaza, and to the others who are with him, who have been
associated with women, that they might be polluted with all
their impurity. And when all their sons shall be slain, when
they shall see the perdition of their beloved, bind them for
seventy generations underneath the earth, even to the day of
judgment, and of consummation, until the judgment, the effect of
which will last for ever, be completed.
16. Then shall they be taken away into the lowest depths of the
fire in torments; and in confinement, shall they be shut up for
17. Immediately after this shall he, together with them, burn
and perish; they shall be bound until the consummation of many
18. Destroy all the souls addicted to dalliance, and the
offspring of the Watchers, for they have tyrannized over
19. Let every oppressor perish from the face of the earth;
20. Let every evil work be destroyed;
21. The plant of righteousness and of rectitude appear, and its
produce become a blessing.
22. Righteousness and rectitude shall be for ever planted with
23. And then shall all the saints give thanks, and live until
they have begotten a thousand children, while the whole period
of their youth, and their Sabbaths shall be completed in peace.
In those days all the earth shall be cultivated in
righteousness; it shall be wholly planted with trees, and filled
with benediction; every tree of delight shall be planted in it.
In it shall vines be planted; and the vine which shall be
planted in it shall yield fruit to satiety; every seed, which
shall be sown in it, shall produce for one measure a thousand;
and one measure of olives shall produce ten presses of oil.
25. Purify the earth from all oppression, from all injustice,
from all crime, from all impiety, and from all the pollution
which is committed upon it. Exterminate them from the earth.
26. Then shall all the children of men be righteous, and all
nations shall pay me divine honors, and bless me; and all shall
27. The earth shall be cleansed from all corruption, from every
crime, from all punishment, and from all suffering; neither will
I again send a deluge upon it from generation to generation for
28. In those days I will open the treasures of blessing which
are in heaven, that I may cause them to descend upon earth, and
upon all the works and labor of man.
29. Peace and equity shall associate with the sons of men all
the days of the world, in every generation of it.
(No CHAP. XI.)
CHAP. XII. [SECT. III.]
1. Before all these things Enoch was
concealed; nor did any one of the sons of men know where he was
concealed, where he had been, and what had happened.
2. He was wholly engaged with the holy ones, and with the
Watchers in his days.
3. I, Enoch, was blessing the great Lord and King of peace.
4. And behold the Watchers called me Enoch the scribe.
5. Then the Lord said to me: Enoch, scribe of righteousness, go
tell the Watchers of heaven, who have deserted the lofty sky,
and their holy everlasting station, who have been polluted with
6. And have done as the sons of men do, by taking to themselves
wives, and who have been greatly corrupted on the earth;
7. That on the earth they shall never obtain peace and remission
of sin. For they shall not rejoice in their offspring; they
shall behold the slaughter of their beloved; shall lament for
the destruction of their sons; and shall petition for ever; but
shall not obtain mercy and peace.
1. Then Enoch, passing on, said to
Azazyel: Thou shalt not obtain peace. A great sentence is gone
forth against thee. He shall bind thee;
2. Neither shall relief, mercy, and supplication be thine, on
account of the oppression which thou hast taught;
3. And on account of every act of blasphemy, tyranny, and sin,
which thou hast discovered to the children of men.
4. Then departing from him I spoke to them all together;
5. And they all became terrified, and trembled;
6. Beseeching me to write for them a memorial of supplication,
that they might obtain forgiveness; and that I might make the
memorial of their prayer ascend up before the God of heaven;
because they could not themselves thenceforwards address him,
nor raise up their eyes to heaven on account of the disgraceful
offence for which they were judged.
7. Then I wrote a memorial of their prayer and supplication, for
their spirits, for everything which they had done, and for the
subject of their entreaty, that they might obtain remission and
8. Proceeding on, I continued over the waters of Danbadan, which
is on the right to the west of Armori, reading the memorial of
their prayer, until I fell asleep.
9. And behold a dream came to me, and visions appeared above me.
I fell down and saw a vision of punishment, that I might relate
it to the sons of heaven, and reprove them. When I awoke I went
to them. All being collected together stood weeping in
Oubelseyael, which is situated between Libanos and Seneser, with
their faces veiled.
10. I related in their presence all the visions which I bad
seen, and my dream;
11. And began to utter these words of righteousness, reproving
1. This is the book of the words of
righteousness, and of the reproof of the Watchers, who belong to
the world, according to that which He, who is holy and great,
commanded in the vision. I perceived in my dream, that I was now
speaking with a tongue of flesh, and with my breath, which the
Mighty One has put into the mouth of men, that they might
converse with it.
2. And understand with the heart. As he has created and given to
men the power of comprehending the word of understanding, so has
be created and given to me the power of reproving the Watchers,
the offspring of heaven. I have written your petition; and in my
vision it has been shown me, that what you request will not be
granted you as long as the world endures.
3. Judgment has been passed upon you: your request will not be
4. From this time forward, never shall you ascend into heaven;
He has said, that on the earth He will bind you, as long as the
5. But before these things you shall behold the destruction of
your beloved sons; you shall not possess them, but they shall
fall before you by the sword.
6. Neither shall you entreat for them, nor for yourselves;
7. But you shall weep and supplicate in silence. The words of
the book which I wrote.
8. A vision thus appeared to me.
9. Behold, in that vision clouds and a mist invited me; agitated
stars and flashes of lightning impelled and pressed me forwards,
while winds in the vision assisted my flight, accelerating my
10. They elevated me aloft to heaven. I proceeded, until I
arrived at a wall built with stones of crystal. A vibrating
flame surrounded it, which began to strike me with terror.
11. Into this vibrating flame I entered;
12. And drew nigh to a spacious habitation built also with
stones of crystal. Its wells too, as well as pavement, were
formed with stones of crystal, and crystal likewise was the
ground. Its roof had the appearance of agitated stars and
flashes of lightning; and among them were cherubim of fire in a
stormy sky. A flame burned around its walls; and its portal
blazed with fire. When I entered into this dwelling, it was hot
as fire and cold as ice. No trace of delight or of life was
there. Terror overwhelmed me, and a fearful shaking seized me.
13. Violently agitated and trembling, I fell upon my face. In
the vision I looked,
14. And behold there was another habitation more spacious than
the former, every entrance to which was open before me, erected
in the midst of a vibrating flame.
15. So greatly did it excel in all points, in glory, in
magnificence, and in magnitude, that it is impossible to
describe to you either the splendor or the extent of it.
16. Its floor was on fire; above were lightning's and agitated
stars, while its roof exhibited a blazing fire.
17. Attentively I surveyed it, and saw that it contained an
18. The appearance of which was like that of frost; while its
circumference resembled the orb of the brilliant sun; and there
was the voice of the cherubim.
19. From underneath this mighty throne rivers of flaming fire
20. To look upon it was impossible.
21. One great in glory sat upon it:
22. Whose robe was brighter than the sun, and whiter than snow.
23. No angel was capable of penetrating to view the face of Him,
the Glorious and the Effulgent; nor could any mortal behold Him.
A fire was flaming around Him.
24. A fire also of great extent continued to rise up before Him;
so that not one of those who surrounded Him was capable of
approaching Him, among the myriads of myriads who were before
Him. To Him holy consultation was needless. Yet did not the
sanctified, who were near Him, depart far from Him either by
night or by day; nor were they removed from Him. I also was so
far advanced, with a veil on my face, and trembling. Then the
Lord with his own mouth called me, saying, Approach hither,
Enoch, at my holy word.
25. And He raised me up, making me draw near even to the
entrance. My eye was directed to the ground.
1. Then addressing me, He spoke and
said Hear, neither be afraid, O righteous Enoch, thou scribe of
righteousness: approach hither, and hear my voice. Go, say to
the Watchers of heaven, who have sent thee to pray for them, You
ought to pray for men, and not men for you.
2. Wherefore have you forsaken the lofty and holy heaven, which
endures for ever, and have lain with women; have defiled your-
selves with the daughters of men; have taken to yourselves
wives; have acted like the sons of the earth, and have begotten
an impious offspring?
3. You being spiritual, holy, and possessing a life which is
eternal, have polluted yourselves with women; have begotten in
carnal blood; have lusted in the blood of men; and have done as
those who are flesh and blood do.
4. These however die and perish.
5. Therefore have I given to them wives, that they might cohabit
with them; that sons might be born of them; and that this might
be transacted upon earth.
6. But you from the beginning were made spiritual, possessing a
life which is eternal, and not subject to death for ever.
7. Therefore I made not wives for you, because, being spiritual,
your dwelling is in heaven.
8. Now the giants, who have been born of spirit and of flesh,
shall be called upon earth evil spirits, and on earth shall be
their habitation. Evil spirits shall proceed from their flesh,
because they were Created from above; from the holy Watchers was
their beginning and primary foundation. Evil spirits shall they
be upon earth, and the spirits of the wicked shall they be
called. The habitation of the spirits of heaven shall be in
heaven; but upon earth shall be the habitation of terrestrial
spirits, who are born on earth.
9. The spirits of the giants shall be like clouds, which shall
oppress, corrupt, fall, contend, and bruise upon earth.
10. They shall cause lamentation. No food shall they eat; and
they shall be thirsty; they shall be concealed, and shall not
rise up against the sons of men, and against women; for they
come forth during the days of slaughter and destruction.
1. And as to the death of the
giants, whosesoever their spirits depart from their bodies, let
their flesh, that which is perish- able, be without judgment.
Thus shall they perish, until the day of the great consummation
of the great world. A destruction shall take place of the
Watchers and the impious.
2. And now to
the Watchers, who have sent thee to pray for them,
who in the beginning were in heaven,
3. Say, In heaven have you been; secret things, however, have
not been manifested to you; yet have you known a reprobated
4. And this you have related to women in the hardness of your
heart, and by that mystery have women and mankind multiplied
evils upon the earth.
5. Say to them, Never therefore shall you obtain peace.